February 19, 2010

Not to be an ageist but...

I always forget that the legal drinking age here in Montreal is 18. That is 7 years younger than I am... That is A LOT.

To put it into perspective, last night we went out dancing at this place called Corova. It was a pretty sweet bar and they were playing great old Motown tunes. Should have been a good time right?! Maybe if the bar wasn't full of little teeny-boppers!!!

It was the worst when I was standing in line waiting to use the washroom and this girl was chatting to me about studying at McGill and then she mentioned she was from the States. Then she said "It just feels so liberating to be here and being able to go out drinking". She was only 18!!! Ahhhh!

I felt so terribly old at that moment (even though in the grand scheme of things I am totally not), especially since the girls that we went out were making comments on how they felt old, and they are only 21! I am not used to hanging out with younger people. Most of my friends have always been older. 

I feel real nervous about going back to school as a "mature student".  It makes me wonder if different universities have different ranges in age? Or if some schools are known for having more mature students? It feels weird to have to think about something like age, but I can't help it. Being 18 and 25 are two completely different worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment